Unboxing IQUNIX M80 Kitty Mechanical Keyboard

Hey guys, today I will be unboxing Iqunix M80 Kitty Mechanical Keyboard, Neko-tomo Deskmat from ApexKeyboards, and Cat Paw Cable Protector from Amazon.
Like always thank you so much! !







Unlike their previous keyboard release, the iQunix A80, the M80 seems to have been made for those who prefer aesthetics over functionality, and not just any aesthetics, but the cute kind. 

Like, seriously, it’s adorable. Look at it, it has cat ears!

Cat ears, I tell you!

Now when I bought this keyboard, I didn’t buy it expecting much. I simply thought it would make a cute gift for my mother or my sister. And with names like Ragdoll, Tabby, and Persian, I was persuaded to make my purchase. As to which kitty cat color I bought? I was torn between the Ragdoll (pink) and the Persian (blue) but ultimately it was the Persian that came bounding swiftly to my door.

Here is a pic of the keyboard I ordered:

I present to you, le Persian!
And another picture: le Persian at an angle!

Seriously, adorable. It even has kitty keycaps!

Feature-wise, it’s not terrible; as a nice compact 80% layout, bluetooth-enabled, Mac-compatible, and a mechanical keyboard, it does what you need it to. The few downsides are that you don’t have many options for alternatives. Like, if you wanted something other than Kailh Blue switches in the keyboard or would like RGB lighting, you’d have to make those adjustments on your own, and by that I mean you’d really have to dig in there, de-solder things, and do your due diligence to make it something custom. 

As for me, I’m all-in-all happy with what I got since this wasn’t a serious purchase and my mom isn’t keyboard enthusiast enough to be picky (she just likes pretty lights mostly). It’s light, it’s fun, it’s functional, and that’s all I really cared about. And I’d recommend this board to anyone who doesn’t mind clicky switches and likes the cute aesthetic. I will say though, if you’re more picky about the type, sound, and feel of a board — a more serious buyer, let’s say — this may not the board for you. 

Let me explain.

Now this keyboard is obviously not for any enthusiast who’s primary want in a keyboard is the feel, sound, build, weight, or function (I know, I know, I just listed everything, but it’s not that bad, I promise). For one, the switches and keycaps don’t feel or sound very nice on this board, which I believe is because of the lower profile, if not the shape, of the keycaps and the build of the board itself. The keypresses sound hollow, shallow in a way, and rattly, giving me the impression that the keyboard was cheaply made. Testing the keycaps on the Kirin v2 from Tempest on Box White switches, however, it surprisingly doesn’t sound that bad – it has a sound that feels filled and has a lower pitch than regular-shaped keycaps of similar height. This makes me think it’s the material combo that they went with for the board that makes it sound the way it does. It might’ve been worth it for them to use different switches, if anything. Or, perhaps, cushion the inside so it doesn’t sound as hollow. Either way, for some reason, it doesn’t sound like the caps are completely secure.

As for the body of the keyboard, it isn’t bad but it feels like the type of material that attracts dust. It’s made of what seems like a soft rounded plastic and is very smooth to the touch. It feels nice but, just from an initial impression, it might accumulate all degrees of dirtiness if not kept on a clean table (not sure yet what happens if you wipe it with a wet cloth – might just keep to the dust cleaner).

The weight of the board isn’t bad either—mind, it doesn’t compare to actual weighted boards, of course—and the rounded feet on the back are sturdy. Though the feet aren’t adjustable, it’s at an angle you can’t complain about so I wouldn’t say it’s the worst. 

Rounded corners.

Indeed, I wouldn’t say this is a keyboard for those who have tasted boards bought through group buys, but it certainly does have its charms for those who haven’t had a sip of the forbidden waters just yet!

Overall, it’s not a bad keyboard; it certainly makes a decent gift for anyone who likes cute novel things. If you decide to grab one yourself, feel free to let me know what you think!